Skip to main content

For Adult Consumers


Explore More

exclamation point Learn how to reduce potential harmful health effects from cannabis use.

What you need to know

Effective Aug. 1, 2023, full decriminalization will allow the possession, use, and home grow of cannabis in Minnesota for people 21 and older.   

As outlined in law, a person age 21 or older may:

  • Use, possess, or transport cannabis paraphernalia.
  • Possess or transport up to 2 ounces of cannabis flower in a public place.
  • Possess up to 2 pounds of cannabis flower in a person’s private residence.
  • Possess or transport up to 8 grams of adult-use concentrate. 
  • Possess or transport edible cannabis products or lower-potency hemp edibles infused with a combined 800 milligrams or less of THC.
  • Give away cannabis flower and products to a person 21 or older in an amount legal for a person to possess in public.

What’s allowed if a person wants to grow cannabis at home?

  • Up to eight cannabis plants, with no more than four being mature, flowering plants may be grown at a single residence as long as it is at the primary residence of someone 21 or older.
  • Plants must be in an enclosed, locked space that is not open for public view.

Where can cannabis be used?

Cannabis can be used by people 21 and older on private property (unless the owner prohibits use of cannabis on their property), private residences and at places with approved licenses or an event permit (however, no licenses or event permits are available at this time).   

Cannabis cannot be used when operating a motor vehicle or operating heavy machinery and where smoking and vaping are prohibited under the Minnesota Clean Indoor Air Act. 

Cannabis cannot be used or possessed in the following locations:

  • Public school or charter schools and school buses
  • State correctional facilities
  • In a location where the smoke, aerosol or vapor of a cannabis product could be inhaled by a minor
  • On federal property (such as courthouses, airports and national parks)
  • In federally subsidized housing. Due to the federal prohibition of cannabis, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) does not have the discretion to admit or retain users of cannabis (i.e., marijuana), including medical cannabis, to the public housing program.
  • While on an employer's premises, or operating an employer's vehicle, machinery or equipment

Smoking or vaping adult-use cannabis products is prohibited in a multifamily housing building, including patios and balconies (effective March 1, 2025).  

Owners of day cares must disclose to parents if the proprietors permit use of cannabis outside of its normal business hours.  

NOTE: Communities may have local ordinances that prohibit smoking or vaping cannabis in public places.

Other details

  • People in Minnesota who are not U.S. citizens should seek legal advice before using or possessing cannabis.
  • The tax on cannabis product sales is 10% (this is in addition to the standard state and local sales tax rates). Medical cannabis product sales are not taxed.
  • Marijuana remains illegal under federal law, where it is still classified as a controlled substance.
  • Questions about workplace issues? Read more at What employers should know.

Safe and responsible use

  • Cannabis should always be used responsibly and never used before driving a vehicle or operating heavy machinery. Driving under the influence of cannabis is illegal and subject to additional DWI sanctions. Learn more at the Minnesota Office of Traffic Safety.
  • If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, have been diagnosed with or are predisposed to serious mental illness, talk with your health care provider before using cannabis.
  • To avoid dangerous interactions with prescribed medications, talk to your health care provider or pharmacist before using cannabis.
  • Make sure your cannabis is stored safely. Keep your products in child-resistant packaging, clearly labeled and locked up.
  • If you think your cannabis use is disrupting your daily life or causing problems at home, work, or school, talk to your health care provider or substance use counselor.